December 15, 2009

Four Seasons Lodge


I'm sitting here trying to figure out how to communicate how much I loved this film, and I can't even find the words. It is a documentary about a group of Holocaust survivors who spent their post-war summers in America together at a bungalow colony in the Catskills. These people rebuilt their lives from the ashes of their pasts and created a community overflowing with joy and friendship. Sure, I can relate to this topic on a very personal level (my grandparents spent 25 summers at a bungalow colony almost identical to this one...and some of my purest childhood memories take place there). But it's more than that. This film is a celebration of life that will touch everyone that sees it. The filmmakers did an amazing job capturing not only fantastic visuals, but also some of the most candid, sincere dialogue I have ever heard in a documentary. I know it's cliche to say a film will make you laugh and cry, but in this case, it is so so true. My gratitude goes to the filmmakers for preserving this small, but distinctly unique bit of cultural history. Thank you thank you thank you...


Four Season Lodge - Trailer from First Run Features on Vimeo.

0 comments:

Post a Comment