June 22, 2010

Ode to the subway map...

 
If you live in New York, you're probably starting to see signs of the soon-to-be defunct V and W subway lines, and a new subway map to go with it (no, it's NOT the gorgeous one pictured above). Have you seen it yet? What do you think of the changes? The parks got yellower, and Manhattan got a lot chunkier!

Being a mostly 6 train girl, these changes won't have much personal effect... though I'll have to train (no pun intended) myself from referring to the BDFV and NQRW lines. Occasionally I'll still hear someone refer to the 1/9 line. I always chuckle considering there hasn't been a 9 train in over 5 years (i.e. not since I've been living here).

Anyway, I thought it'd be a good time for a little ode to the visual wonder that is the subway map...



The above images are Massimo Vignelli's classic 1972 map design--highly stylized, highly controversial. Whatever it lacked in usability, it gained tenfold in aesthetics. That color palette!!




The Future Perfect's One Color Subway Map poster.



ZERO PER ZERO's subway map interpretation, inspired by Milton Glaser's ubiquitous I HEART NY.

How are the new subway changes effecting you?

3 comments:

Sara said...

I LOVE looking at historical subway maps (and so does Evan). Thanks for this post!

I wish the G train would go just one more stop into Queens (to Queens Plaza) for an easier transfer to/from the R/new M train in Queens.

I also wish the new M train would stop at Lower E. Side/2nd Ave.

Overall, my commute isn't affected too much by the changes.

Evan said...

I was just looking at the map the other day when I noticed the new map. I'm not a fan. Why would they make a green space less green and how did manhattan gain so much weight? Better start working out. It definitely feels like the dawn of a new era when you see it.


P.S. V train RIP. You will be missed! I'll never forget our time together.

P.P.S. you too W train. You were here for less than 10 years but you definitely made your mark. Every astoria station wouldn't be the same.

P.P.P.S. and G train.....You have never been given a real chance. You don't even get to have as many cars as the other trains. I hope someday the mta realizes your true potential.

Aron said...

so cool!

Post a Comment